Day 10, More on Lateral Flexion  

Posted by Enlightened Horsemanship

Today's work is a bit boring. Since he did not do as well yesterday with the Lateral Flexing of his neck, Max got worked considerably today on this particular issue. I also started working on getting him sensitive to the riding aids. I started getting him working to the voice commands for his changes of gait. Now I am introducing the leg aids to him. I do this initially on the ground so that I can easily and safely teach him what the leg pressure expects of him.


In this video, you will see me use my hand in place of the leg to get Max to move his Hindquarters to the side. The process is fairly simple, I place my hand on his side where my leg would be if I were riding him, and then I apply pressure. If he does not comply, then I DO NOT increase the pressure with my hand. Instead, I pull on the lead rope and wait for him to move his hindquarters. I DO NOT increase the pressure with my hand because I do not want him to become numb to the pressure. Instead, I want him to get used to moving to the lightest of touches and so I am only giving him a light touch. If he moves, then I remove the pressure. If he does NOT move, then I apply pressure from the LEAD ROPE.

This entry was posted on June 23, 2009 at 6/23/2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment