Day 8. Max takes a day off.  

Posted by Enlightened Horsemanship




Today is Max's eighth day in training. It is Sunday and he will be taking the day off. So all that he will do is be turned out a couple of times and allowed to graze, and doze.


It is also a time for me to reflect on his progress.

1. Max came to me because he has a bucking problem

2. I began working with Max as if he had never been ridden

3. Beginning with working on the ground, I have worked on getting him to obey voice commands to change gaits.

4. Although it looks good on video, he is really not responding to the voice as much as I would like. But after only 7 days, it's not bad. The main thing is that I want him to obey a command to transition into any gait from any gait by voice so that I do not have to goose him with my leg since that might get him bucking.

5. I have worked on getting him to flex at the neck when I ask with the lead rope. I can get him to do it at the halt, the walk, and a little at the trot. But he is not compliant enough to try it at the canter yet. Next week, I will be working very hard on the flexion. It will be vital. I want him to comply because he is disciplined, and well trained, not because the bit is compelling him.

6. Next week, I will also be introducing Max to saddles and bridles. In the past, these things were presented to him in a way that might have contributed to him bucking. I will reintroduce them to him as if he had never seen them before. He will be fine, but subconsciously, there will hopefully be a difference. (hopefully) But the tack will be an introduction. Mostly, he will need to be trained to comply with the aids without the tack so that the tack can be reserved for communication instead of being used to compel obedience.

This entry was posted on June 21, 2009 at 6/21/2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment