Max's first day at school  

Posted by Enlightened Horsemanship

Today I took max out to the round pen. He led very well and quietly. My goal for today was to try and see where he is in his training as far as being worked on the ground. I also wanted to push him a little to see if I could find his buttons. I was not disappointed. For the most part, he did fairly well. In this first video He started running off. I used only a combination of body language and my voice to bring him back down. My body language is nothing more than shaking my finger at him.


I did not use any equipment on Max today as I only wanted to get to know him and to see if I could teach him anything without using a lead line, halter, or having any physical contact with him.

After a very short time, he responded well to my voice commands and learned to stop, walk, and trot on voice commands. His walk to trot transition was a little sluggish in every instance. It would take him at least one and half strides to pick up the trot from the walk. When he is finished, he should pick it up in no more than half a stride.

His stops and downward transitions were excellent. In most cases, he engages his hindquarters to stop or slow down and performs a downward transition flawlessly. My only complaint might be the walk to stop transition which he performs quickly but slightly crookedly.

In the video below, he can be seen picking up the trot very nicely and then transitioning down to the walk in an excellent and distinct manner.

This entry was posted on June 14, 2009 at 6/14/2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment