Day 16. More Riding, a lot more, and Hindquarter Control  

Posted by Enlightened Horsemanship

Max has been with me for 2 weeks now and we are really putting a lot more pressure on him. His workouts have a lot of exercise in them and now there is also a great deal of expectation placed on him. I now have him wearing a bridle and bit. I am also expecting immediate response to the rein if I pull on one rein. I never want to pull hard on a horse's mouth. This will only result in a big fight which I am destined to lose. Instead, I ask with the rein, and if he does not respond to the rein, then I immediately require him to yield the hind quarters.


In this first video below, you can see that I am asking for him to give to one rein from the ground. And when he does not give readily, I simply ask him to yield his hindquarters. Later when I ask for this from his back, if he is inclined to fight and buck, he is discouraged from doing so by the fact that he has disengaged his hindquarters. He is further discouraged from fighting from the fact that I am asking for extremely easy movements, my signals are very clear, and the releases are timely. This is not because I am a great rider, it is because I have selected a series of movements that are designed to produce these results almost automatically.


In this next video, you can see me perform the same technique of asking him to give to one rein and if he does not, then I will apply pressure on his hindquarters.


This entry was posted on June 29, 2009 at 6/29/2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment