Day 6. Max Walk Trot, Good and Bad, Mounted Trot  

Posted by Enlightened Horsemanship

Today Max took the opportunity to sow some wild oats and be very disobedient. When put on the rail and given voice commands, he was reluctant to obey and would pick up the Canter without waiting to be told. Today I also worked him on the short lunge and he was not very obedient there either. It took awhile to convince him to be compliant and eventually he became good and I was able to go ahead and get on him and make some mounted progress.


In this first video, you will see Max picking up the canter prematurely and being very difficult.

In this next video, he becomes much more compliant and I feel comfortable taking to the next stage.

In the following video, you can see Max trying his best but the change to the lunge is confusing to him.


In this next video, I have mounted up on Max and I am directing him to walk a figure 8 pattern. He is very quiet, but his response to the lead rope is very poor at this stage. I am required to place far too much tension on the lead rope and so if he were at a higher speed like the canter, he would be completely out of control.

In this last video of the day, I have got some compliance with his head so I have taken him up to the trot. However, at the trot he becomes very stiff in the neck and will not give very much. However, he is very good about starting and stopping. Because I have worked on getting him to change gaits by voice, I do not have to use my legs to squeeze too hard to get him to transition up to the trot. This is important as I do not want to just hop on and squeeze or kick a horse that might easily buck. Furthermore, the voice allows me to ask for the stop without needing as much compliance from his head.

This entry was posted on June 19, 2009 at 6/19/2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment